Not sure what to make for breakfast? It can be tricky to come up with a delicious, family-friendly breakfast idea that extends past milk and cereal. That’s why we are excited to share this recipe for Cheesy Breakfast Casserole. The idea is simple: combine all your favorite breakfast foods into one oven-ready casserole.
Featuring Italian sausage, diced hash browns, cheese, and vegetables, this is one breakfast bake you’ll find yourself making again and again!
Cheesy Breakfast Casserole
• 1 pound Italian sausage
• 1 medium white onion, peeled and diced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
• 1/3 cup milk
• 1 (20 ounces) bag frozen diced hash browns, thawed
• 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• Thinly sliced green onions (optional, for topping)
1. Heat oven to 375°F. Add the sausage to a medium sauté pan. Cook over medium-high heat until browned, crumbling the sausage as it cooks. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Reserve 1 tablespoon of sausage grease in the pan, discarding the rest.
2. Add the onion and red pepper to the pan, and sauté for 5 minutes until cooked. Add the garlic and sauté for an additional 2 minutes until fragrant.
3. Pour the vegetable mixture into the mixing bowl with the sausage. Add the hash browns and 1 1/2 cups cheese to the mixing bowl with the sausage and veggies. Stir to combine.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and black pepper until combined. Then add them to the hash brown mixture and stir to combine.
5. Pour the mixture into an 11×7-inch, 9×9-inch, or 9x13-inch baking dish and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
6. Then remove the aluminum foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until the potatoes in the center are cooked through.
7. Remove and let the casserole rest for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions and serve!
On the hunt for a new favorite recipe to add to your list of staples? The team at Sapphire Apartments in San Antonio, Texas encourages you to try your hand at this delicious option.